Friday, October 31, 2008

Tanya Voss

I can't provide health benefits to my self-employed partner of 19 years. The only time the university has recognized us as a family was when they included her income in calculating our child care costs. I get paid less than my legally married co-workers because every month our family spends hundreds of dollars on her limited health insurance that might have otherwise gone into our sons' college funds. I keep track of the other universities and businesses that support all their faculty and staff and I assure you that our students, alumni, donors, potential and current faculty and staff do, too. This will be increasingly true in years to come.

Professor Tanya Voss
Field Program Director and Clinical Assistant Professor
School of Social Work
The University of Texas at Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment